Thursday, November 8, 2012

Driver Spotlight: Emily Gwyn




Emily Gwyn


Emily is 17 years old she's been dirt track racing since 2009 at Rolling Thunder Raceway out of Ararat, Va and Friendship Speedway out of Elkin, NC. She started racing because of her dad. Her father has had a long career in racing. She was raised at the track and spent nearly every weekend there watching her father since she was able to walk. Her father has passed down his racing knowledge to her "from wheeling a race car around the track to every tick underneath the hood." She knew she was going to carry on the family tradition she even took on the family racing number 49.

To Emily racing in not only a sport, it is her entire life. Accrding to Emily she eats, breathes, and sleeps racing. "Being a girl, I had to fight since I first climbed in a race car to get where I am today," she said. What makes Emily unique is that every blood sweat and tear put into her cars is completed by her and her father. She said, "I've been told that if a woman could make it in NASCAR, I'd be the one to do it."

She currently races in the stock 4 cylinder class at both tracks. She owns two race cars and will soon own a third one. She has her own racing team, Outlaw Motorsports. Her team currently consists of 2 drivers, herself and her boyfriend, Kenny Sapp. Every race she races for breast cancer awareness. I asked her why this fight is near and dear to her heart. "I race with the ribbon because I have seen many women and men go through the fight. My boyfriends grandfather had to fight cancer and its a problem that I wish we all could solve. Its somethings that I think all women should support and stand behind. Me being a woman of racing, not only do I support all women drivers that have to fight for a win but also all the women who fight cancer! Maybe if a woman struggling seen the ribbon on my race car along with more race cars, it would give them more hope and strength to keep fighting their fight! Race with the ribbon!"

This season she had over 7 top 5 finishes and 5 top 10 finishes and her first win! Her racing team has many plans for the 2013 season at Friendship Speedway. She said "I couldn't be where i am today without the support of my parents, boyfriend, friends, family, and FANS!"

To learn more about Emily Gwyn please visit www.emilygwynracing.webs.com or follow her on her Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/girlsracetoo?ref=hl#!/pages/Emily-Gwyn-Racing-EGR/159893167373639?fref=ts

No comments:

Post a Comment