Monday, April 29, 2013

Driver Spotlight: Courtney Clark


Courtney Clark


2 years ago Courtney Clark caught the racing bug. She went to her first kart race. She was hooked she decided she wanted to experience it for herself. At first her parents weren't sure about it. Her dad wasn't excited about the idea and her mom was hesitant as well. Courtney decided to take it upon herself to do whatever she could to "get in that seat." She started off racing karts in the rental league at the local track. A few weeks in the rental league, her parents started to see her talent in the sport. At that point Courtney told her parents that she was going to make her dream happen and find a way to get her own kart. It took quite a bit of convincing to get her father to allow her to race and a lot of hard work to save up the money to purchase her kart and motor but she accomplished her goal. She was finally able to race!

Last year they started racing at a new track, Michiana Raceway Park in South Bend Indiana. She finished 3rd place in overall points for the season. This year she has been finishing in the top 3 spots. She was able to get a few sponsors however it was not enough to purchase a new kart and motor. She worked hard and again earned her way into a new kart.

Courtney has a few people she looks up to in the race world. "I look up to a close friend who also races, named Adam. He's helped me every step of the way on and off the track. Another would be my grandpa's friend named Donny. He's 70 years old, and still in a kart. I also look up to Jeff Gordon. I've been following him In NASCAR since I was old enough to know what was going on in a race." 

Everyone has challenges in life. Courtney's challenge has been, "I stutter when I talk, and have been since I was little. It makes it hard sometimes to talk with my tuners or other people in general. But I don't let it slow me down, I work through my challenges."

Racing is more than just a sport there are many more side benefits that are involved. For Courtney, "Racing has brought me close to a bunch of people I'm proud to have as my best friends. It's gotten me through some struggles of my life. My grandpas on both side are battling cancer, and it's caused some family problems. Racing has also helped me to be a better person. I've learned so much from being on and off the track. I honestly could not do it without the support of my friends I've meet through racing, and my parents. Most races last season I was tuning for myself, and working on my own kart and motor on race days."

Throughout her racing career Courtney has been very self-motivated and driven to accomplish her goals.  She is also developing her skills by taking a school course in welding and fabrication. Last year she was enrolled in small engine repair and a number of industrial tech classes. Her goal is to work her way up to stock cars.

You can follow Courtney's career on Facebook: Courtney Clark





No comments:

Post a Comment